For all assignments, please refer to your Google Classroom page.
Any questions should be addressed to email@example.com
ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE WEEK OF 3/30
5th grade assignments will be emailed directly to the students. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Vargas directly.
ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE WEEK OF 3/23
PER THE ARCHDIOCESE OF NEWARK, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO EMAIL MS. VARGAS EVERY MORNING BY 9 A.M. FOR ATTENDANCE. STUDENTS WHO DO NOT CHECK IN, WILL BE MARKED ABSENT.
- -In Vocabulary Workshop, reread the story, Crispus Attucks Changes History, as well as the definitions for the Unit 13 vocabulary words.
- -In Grammar Workshop, please reread Lesson 49:Titles on page 220. Complete the editing page on 222.
- -Journal Topic for the week: Cooperation. Ideas to explore in your writing (these are just suggestions to help you meet the 3 paragraph minimum requirement): What does the word ‘cooperation’ mean? Why is it important? How is it helpful? Where have you seen it? What experience do you have with it/ when have been been asked for your cooperation?
- -Vocabulary Workshop page 135 (Synonyms/Antonyms)
- -Grammar Workshop page 223. This is a fun activity where you must read the description of each item, then create a title for it. Please check whether the format should be for poem, magazine, etc.
- -Vocabulary Workshop page 136 (Completing the Sentence)
- -In Grammar Workshop, read Lesson 50: Commas in a Sentence on page 225. Please note where the commas appear when separating items in a series of three or more words of phrases. Example: a,b,and c.
- Try practice A. Example: for #1, you should place after ‘suburbs’ and ‘malls.’ “….suburbs, malls, and highways…”
- -Vocabulary page 137 (Word Associations)
- -Reread Lesson 50 on page 224. Complete B and C on pages 225-226.
- -Vocabulary Workshop page 139 (Shades of Meaning- Word Choice)
- -Grammar Workshop page 227.
Science (Grade 5)
- -This week you will be reviewing Clouds and Precipitation on pages 380-388. Today, please reread all pages and make sure you completed all Quick Checks (we went over all answers in class). Also, I am asking that you complete the Types of Clouds Quick Lab on page 381 on Friday. You will need to collect your data each day. These will be collected when we return to school, and will count as a Lab Grade.
- -Please do the crossword puzzle (it should be in your home folder), and make sure your vocabulary flashcards are complete. I will give you additional flashcard notes when we return to school, so you can study the essential information that will be found on the test.
- -Please complete Lesson Review on page 389 (most were completed during class).
- Here are the answers (no peeking until you tried on your own!): 1-Water vapor can form clouds, fog, rain, hail, sleet, or snow. 2- fog. 3-Stratus Cloud 4- answers will vary (thermometer, barometer, weather vane, wind sock, anemometer, rain gauge) 5-B. 6-A.
- – Please complete Open Book Quiz (should be in your home folder). This will be collected and graded when we return to school.
- -Complete Types of Clouds lab.
Social Studies (Grade 5)
- -In Chapter 3, Lesson 2, we learned about how early European settlers competed with one another and Native Americans. This week, you will reread the lesson, being mindful you will need to complete the ‘Explore Main Ideas and Details’ worksheet, as well as the ‘Write About It’ activity with accompanying comic. Both will be collected and graded when we return to school. Please take today to revisit the material, including your worksheets, textbook, and notes.
- -Explore Main Ideas and Details worksheet. I already gave you the ‘Main Ideas.’ You need to fill out the Details.
- -Begin ‘Write About It’ activity. Use your completed graphic organizer (worksheet) from yesterday and class notes for ideas. As discussed in class, remember to pick your point of view (you will be writing in first person as either Native American or European Colonist narrator). As the directions state, “Explain who you are, where you come from,and how your life was affected by European colonization in North America.” Include details from the text to support the description and dialog in your short story. You can return back to pages 128-139 in your Research Companion if you need more information.
- – Complete ‘Write About It’ activity.
- -Comic Strip (3-5 squares representing content) from ‘Write About It’.
Religion (Grade 5)
- Each evening, I am asking you to reflect upon how you continue to grow closer to Jesus throughout this Lenten Season. Think about the three main ways we prepare: prayer, almsgiving, and fasting. Please keep a daily Lenten Journal (similar to the Gratitude Journal we did), and write a few notes on your thoughts for each day. For example: What kind deeds did you do for your family today, without being asked? Were all of your words kind? What came easy, and where did you struggle? Where did you feel and see God’s beauty and love today, and did you remember to thank Him for these (and other) blessings in your life? Please remember to include the date on each entry. These will not be shared with the class; I will just be checking that you took time for daily reflection, journaling your thoughts each day. You are welcome to do this as a family activity.